Station:  Tithe Barn / Inn (Gasthaus zum Adler)
These days, it’s an inn, but it used to be a monastic storehouse. The date of 1734 can be seen on one of the lintels, but the location and the architecture suggest that the building is older.
It was originally part of the monastery complex and served as a tithe barn – the warehouse where the tithe was stored, that is, the taxes paid in kind. The monastery’s administrators were based in the prelacy on the opposite side of the road. They levied the taxes, which the farmers then delivered to the tithe barn. The prelacy and the tithe barn were linked by an underground passage which has since been filled in.
But even before secularisation in 1806, the storehouse was apparently converted into an inn. The name of the building, "Gasthaus zum Adler", “The Eagle Inn”, probably also dates from this period. Schuttern was part of the sovereign territory of the House of Habsburg at that time, and the emblem of the Habsburg monarchy is the double-headed eagle. Which is why the eagle on the wrought-iron inn sign has two heads. It has survived the centuries and now adorns the public room of the inn, which is Schuttern’s last surviving drinking establishment.
Pilgrims walking the Way of St. James can not only enjoy a good home-cooked meal at “The Eagle Inn”, they can even get a Schuttern pilgrim stamp.
All depictions: © Historischer Verein Schuttern 603 e.V. / Gemeinde Friesenheim