Station: [23] Markt 4

In 1511, Lucas Cranach the Elder acquired the Court called Markt 4, which is now owned by the city of Wittenberg. This was the house where he had his family. The courtyard ensemble was remodelled several times in the 16th century. By the 20th century, the houses were visibly falling into disrepair. The buildings and courtyard were only restored thanks to the actions of the Cranach Foundation.

Take look at your screen to see the state of the courtyard before the refurbishment.

The house overlooking the square was once a three-storey Renaissance building with a transverse gable. Construction work on the rear buildings started in 1560, after Cranach's daughter Anna and her husband Caspar Pfreundt had taken over the property, were living here with their family and running the pharmacy. 

In around 1771, the house was rebuilt in the late Baroque style. An extra floor was added and some of the interior rooms were furnished with impressive stucco ceilings and double doors. Features that have survived since the Renaissance include the private chapel and a room with a painted ceiling. 

The yard itself was completely renovated between 1995 and 2007 – without changing its character as a Renaissance commercial courtyard. Today, Markt number four houses the Cranach Museum, artists’ studios, a café and various local Wittenberg clubs.

In 2005, the Cranach Courts Markt number 4 and Schloss-Strasse number 1 were declared architectural monuments of national importance.

The Cranach Court at Schloss-Strasse number one is about a minute’s walk from here. Just turn left and walk along the market square to Schloss Strasse!


All depictions: © Dagmar Trüpschuch und Cranach Stiftung