Stadt.Land.Kultur. > Teterow, Bergringstadt >

[8] Mill Quarter

Mill quarter
Mill pond with town mill and town church
Town mill
The former town mill now houses a restaurant.

Description

A water mill is documented to have been in operation following the end of the Thirty Years´ War. The mill pond was created by damming the Köthel creek. A water wheel served as its driving force. The water initially flowed openly into the Teterow Lake. In the 19th century, the outlet was covered in the area of the city center. The entire mill environment, including the bank reinforcement of the pond, was redesigned from 1996 to 1998. 

CITY MILL 

After the last major city fire, the city mill was rebuilt in 1799. 100 years later, Paul Kirbach took over the mill from the city and soon replaced the water wheel with a turbine. In 1960, the conversion to electric motors took place. In the same year, the Agricultural Production Cooperative (LPG) took over the mill. Miller Kirchbach became a member of the cooperative and assumed the management in the mill operation. He sold the mill, including its inventory, to the LPG, which operated it as a mixed feed plant until 1991. In order to preserve this technical monument for posterity, the city acquired the building. It renovated the mill with great attention to detail, partially funded by urban development subsidies. Parts of the old milling technology were preserved and could be integrated into today´s use.