Stadt.Land.Kultur. > Thurnau >

Die Kemenate


The bower (“Kemenate”) represents the oldest and most prominent building of the castle Thurnau. At any time, the bower was used as a fireplace, living and working room. As the castle has been built in the 13th century by the knights Förtsch, they have been the first inhabitants of the bower of castle Thurnau. In 1565 the castle with its bower was in possession of the Giech and Kindsberg (Künsberg) in reason of an alliance between one of the Förtschs` daughter’s with one of the new owner of the castle. The bower consists of four levels: the kitchen, the old bed-chamber, the room for the staff and the room for the bellboys.