Stadt.Land.Kultur. > Thurnau >

Töpfermuseum Thurnau


The pottery museum is inside the old Latin School of Thurnau, which was build in 1552 and exists since 1914. 1982 the museum has been opened. Thurnau potteryproducts, a collection of Günther and Luise Stüdemann, make up the foundation of the museum. Countless presents and lend products complete the stock. During the conversion of the building the so called “black kitchen” from the 16th century has been exposed. It is one of the oldest and most preserved black kitchen of Upper Franconia. There is an iron yellow cooking and baking dish exhibited in the kitchen. Spezial kinds of vessel such as the "Thurnauer Crock" or the "hare-frypan" belong to the repertoire of Thurnaus pottery.