Stadt.Land.Kultur. >



Jürgem Schwarzmann
Hauptstraße 37
53506 Hönningen
View mobile


You will find us here

History of Hönningen The name Hönningen refers to a Franconian settlement. It was previously called Hunighofen. ​ The Metz Abbey of St. Arnulf in Hönningen has been wealthy since the middle of the 7th century. The dialect “Hünge” has its origins here. In 1084, the St. Arnulf Abbey ceded its property in Hönningen to the St. Kunibert Monastery in Cologne. For this reason, St. Kunibert is the patron saint of the Hönningen parish. The Liber valoris names Hönningen in 1316 as the parish of Hönningen. ​ The rights in Hönningen went to the Johanniter-Kommende in Adenau in 1494, who had already been wealthy in Hönningen since 1291. Hönningen with its branches in Dümpelfeld, Niederadenau and Liers belonged to the Order of St. John for over 300 years. The church extension was inaugurated in 1896. On the keystone of the church, next to the St. John's Cross, there is the coat of arms of those from Orsbeck, who, as lords of Wensburg, were also landlords of Hönningen. ​ Hönningen belonged to the county of Are until 1246; since that time to the Electoral Cologne office of Altenahr, in which it was its own bailiwick. In 1816 Hönningen came to the Brück mayor's office in the Adenau district. Since 1923 it has belonged to the Altenahr office. In 1972 the towns of Hönningen and Liers merged to form the local community of Hönningen. ​ On March 1, 1972, the municipalities of Hönningen (741 inhabitants) and Liers (196 inhabitants) merged to form the municipality of Hönningen It has the following description: “Of silver in front of red, split by a wave cut, in front a continuous black cross, behind a silver St. John's cross. coat of arms2.png Reason: During the feudal period, around 1800, Hönningen formed the bailiwick of the same name in the Altenahr district of Cologne. The sovereign was therefore the Elector of Cologne. Its coat of arms showed a continuous black cross in silver. As early as 1494, the farm and the village of Hoynghen an der Ahr, together with the parish church, belonged to the Johanniterkommende in Adenau. They had already acquired property 200 years earlier, i.e. in 1290 and 1291, in what was then called 'Hunighawen' or 'Hunighofen'. As an indication of the connection and the importance that the Johanniters had in Hönningen, the Johanniter cross is in the second field of the municipal coat of arms. The wave cut symbolizes the Ahr River, which gives Hönningen and its district its landscape character. The state main archive in Koblenz approved the draft on August 21st. The district president in Koblenz approved the coat of arms on July 18, 1983. It's in the first field here.