Simon Ungers (b. 1957 in Cologne, d. 2006 in Hürth) studied architecture at Cornell University from 1975 to 1980 in Ithaca, New York. He became known internationally as an architect when he built the T-House (in collaboration with Tom Kinslow), a private house with a sculptural feel made of Corten steel, and the Cube-House, made of concrete blocks. As an artist he specialised in Minimalist (light) installations and sculptures, which were built giving due consideration to the site. In 1995 he won the competition for the Holocaust Monument in Berlin (design remains unbuilt). Ungers was on the teaching staff at Harvard University, Cornell University and the University of Maryland. He lived and worked in New York and Cologne.
Plexiglas, steel, fluorescent tubes
Permanent loan Michael and Eleonore Stoffel Foundation
© Stiftung Skulpturenpark Köln, 2015, Photo: Axel Schneider, Frankfurt am Main